5/30/16

Nordic Summer 2016
























Spring is a time of new beginnings, and summer is nearly here.
I look forward to finally sending some fully edited manuscripts to press for publication, and to participating in several music events. 
This summer I have conference presentations in Bergen, Copenhagen, Glasgow, and Stockholm, and will visit family in the USA. I will also sing some opera arias and a duet on June 1 for an event organized by Bergen National Opera. My postgraduate students have recently completed some very interesting theses that I think will in time become publishable journal articles.
I am eager to see two more books (which have taken longer than I had hoped) published at last, and to making progress on three more books, one of which will be published in Chinese, co-authored with Jiaxing Xie at China Conservatory. There are many interesting new developments in the field of music, and so much yet to learn.

UPDATE (July 2, 2016), below is a video from the Operapub event: 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mr. Hebert,

My name is Brandon Quam. I'm a music educator from the state of Texas and I recently read your book "Wind Bands and Cultural Identity in Japanese Schools" cover to cover and found it an extraordinarily fascinating read. For the past decade I have stood in awe of the quality of music put out by the Japanese school bands, but the method behind their madness has always been an enigma locked away across 10,000 kilometers of open water behind an ironclad language barrier. Music competitions were a huge part of my youth and I am thankful that a book such as yours exists to help bring light to a society of young people who've made this institution an overarching part of their childhoods. Their musical culture is an inspiration on my teaching to always remember what young people are capable of, even if our culture makes it difficult to produce these types of kids.

The book left me with a great many questions...and few resources are available to answer them. I have a beginner-intermediate knowledge of Nihongo, though it's too limited to be of much use to me. I can read Kana decently, know about 50 Kanji and understand maybe about 10% of what I hear, so seeking out the Japanese figureheads who could help me wouldn't be of much use. The majority of times I have reached out to Japanese people online using a combination of English and Japanese, I'm flat out ignored. I've always heard that most Japanese are amazed at any Westerner even attempting to speak or write their language, and that the attempt at reaching out would be met cordially and at least a small link in communication might be formed. But this hasn't been true in practice.

In any case, might I ask you if there are any English publications you recommend for further research into this subject?

Sociomusicology said...

Sorry for the slow reply, Brandon. I did not see this until recently. It sounds like there is really a lot to discuss, so please send me your email and I will try to give some suggestions. David