11/18/09

Ethnomusicology in Mexico City
















After the planning meeting in Helsinki yesterday of the Nordic Network for the Integration of Music Informatics, Performance, and Aesthetics, I have now flown to Mexico City for the Society for Ethnomusicology conference.

I am currently visiting El Colegio de México, A.C., commonly known as Colmex, The College of Mexico (pictured here in my recent photo), which is a prestigious institute of higher education that emphasizes graduate studies in the humanities and social sciences.


Later this week, I will be chairing the meeting of the Historical Ethnomusicology SIG, and a paper session on nationalism in music. It is quite interesting to see new developments in Mexican higher education. This 2009 meeting in Mexico City is the first Society for Ethnomusicology annual conference to be held outside the United States and Canada, so I think it sets an important precedent.

Here is a link to a powerpoint of the agenda for the Historical Ethnomusicology meeting:

http://www.box.net/shared/4u3ei7cfk8

Before traveling, I suffered a minor injury, but I am getting my strength back and intend to get caught up on deadlines as soon as possible.



No comments: